Although the weather might be making you think otherwise, it is very nearly Christmas. Mince pie consumption is nearing its peak, books of the year lists are everywhere you turn, and it’s almost time for the Doctor Who special. For those of us lucky enough to have a reasonable chunk of holiday it’s the last chance to read all those books we promised ourselves this year and it’s also a great concentrated writing slot.
Consider past years, weigh it up according to how well you know me, then answer the following questions:
- How many words will I actually have written by January 3rd?
- How many mince pies will I have eaten when I should really have been getting down to some serious editing?
- At what point on Christmas Day will Big Brother and I dissect the Doctor Who special?
- How many books will be given as presents in my immediate family?
- How many of those will be second-hand?
Season’s greetings to all, and I’ll get back to listening to this Hives album, make another cup of tea, grab a mince pie, and try and finish reading The Establishment by Owen Jones before I’m overcome by festive lethargy.